Executive Order No. 2012-014
CREATING THE NAGA CITY NATURAL WATERWAYS MANAGEMENT COUNCIL
WHEREAS, the Naga River cuts across the City of Naga and connects to the bigger Bicol River leading to the San Miguel Bay;
WHEREAS, aside from these two bodies of water, there are streams, creeks, and other tributaries either connected to the river or coming from Mt. Isarog or adjacent municipalities, found in different barangays that serve as natural drainages carved by time and nature;
WHEREAS, there is a need to maintain and revive these streams, creeks, and other tributaries in their original state for them to be able to effectively serve their function as natural drainages that allow the free and unhampered flow of water and prevent flooding;
WHEREAS, many of these natural waterways have been partially blocked due to human neglect and indiscriminate acts of irresponsible intervention, exposing communities to be at risk of flooding especially during rainy season and/or be prone to illnesses due to murky water;
WHEREAS, the City Government of Naga, through a special body that will focus on the significance of maintaining clean rivers and other natural waterways and the waterways’ vital role in agriculture and health and sanitation as well as in ecological balance and environmental protection, intends to lessen the effects of flood and/or murky water on lives, property, agriculture, productivity and the environment through a comprehensive water management program of the City of Naga.
WHEREAS, there is a need to create the “NAGA CITY NATURAL WATERWAYS MANAGEMENT COUNCIL” that shall take the lead in the formulation of a comprehensive water management program and its implementation;
NOW THEREFORE, I, JOHN G. BONGAT, City Mayor of Naga, by virtue of the powers vested upon me by law do hereby order the following:
Section 1. The Naga City Natural Waterways Management Council is hereby created to be comprised of the following:
Chairman : City Mayor
Vice Chairman and Presiding Officer : City ENRO Head
Members (Government Sector) : SWMO Head
: CaGO Head
: CPDO Head
: CHO Head
: Liga ng mga Barangay President or
: DENR-EMB Representative
: MNWD Representative
: Philippine Coast Guard Cam. Sur Representative
Members (Private Sector) : MNCCI Head or Designated Representative
: NCPC Representative
: Three (3) other members from the private sector, to be appointed by the City Mayor
Section 2. The Naga City Natural Waterways Management Council’s functions and responsibilities are as follows:
- Identify the natural waterways in the different Barangays;
- Cause the preparation of topographic map for Naga indicating all natural waterways in relation to the topography of adjoining municipalities, aimed at determining the flow of water in existing natural waterways;
- Coordinate with the Naga City Flood Mitigation Board in integrating programs to preserve and clean-up such waterways;
- Engage the services of the academe and/or flood experts in introducing engineering and scientific solutions to flooding;
- Conduct public awareness campaign encouraging/engaging people’s participation in the maintenance and upkeep of natural waterways;
- Organize residents along Naga and Bicol Rivers into “Defenders of Naga River”, as the lead, barangay-based organization charged with the function of ensuring cleanliness of riverbanks and the river;
- Perform such other functions in pursuance of the above.
Section 3. The City Government of Naga shall provide the administrative and necessary logistical support for the Naga City Natural Waterways Management Council, that shall meet at least once a month or as often as the need arises, for the performance of its functions and responsibilities.
Section 4. This Executive Order shall take effect immediately.
Issued this 4th day of June, 2012 at Naga City, Philippines.
JOHN G. BONGAT
FLORENCIO T. MONGOSO, JR., CSEE
Department Head II and Acting City Administrator