Facebook Twitter Youtube E-Mail

Environment

Pilimania EXTREME Plant Run

Pilimania goes EXTREME in 2012

In the first year anniversary of the widest and most-acclaimed tree-nurturing program in Naga, Pilimania which coincides with Naga City’s 64th Charter Anniversary, the program’s Executive Committee spearheaded by Mrs. Farah R. Bongat, has announced that it has reached the 20,000 mark in its quest for invigorating the city with live Pili trees as part of the GrEET (Greening, Environment, Entrepreneurship and Tourism), a flagship program of the City Government under the leadership of City Mayor John G. Bongat.

As the program takes off from the gains of last year’s debut, city officials, organizers, individual volunteers, government and non-government organizations will join hands on June 15 and 16 to continue to nurture and plant more Pili trees in the city’s agricultural and residential zones, and in Protected Pili Green Spots dotting the city’s 27 barangays. This is in pursuit of the program’s vision to plant at least 30,000 live pili trees in the city by the end of December 2012.

Pilimania EXTREME line-up of activities kicks off June 13 through a motorcade around the main thoroughfares of the city. On the same day, the City Charter Fair that showcases the finest products from local entrepreneurs will be opened to the public. Fora on The Pilinut Advantage will be conducted at the Metro PESO Micro-Business Center on June 15. The first year of the Pilimania Extreme Plant Run, a fun-run for a cause, jumpstarts 5 a.m. of June 17 at the Naga City Coliseum grounds. On the same venue, the Pilimania Extreme Hataw Exercises to be led by The Biggest Loser Big Winner Larry Martin will spruce up the Sports Fair to be participated by various sports organizations in the city.

A groundbreaking ceremony for the Pilimania Theme park at the coliseum takes place as organizers push for the sustainable development of the Pili industry, as an integral part of the city’s tourism and enterprise development program. In the eve of June 17, the Pilimania Extreme Jam Concert and Beer Plaza takes center stage at the Naga City Coliseum grounds giving tribute to the thousands of volunteers contributing to the success of the program.

Pilimania Extreme this year banners the theme Greening is Thrilling! as it introduces a brand new concept of environmentally sound activities that is more fun, energizing and memorable.

For more information, kindly contact:

MIKE D. RICO, Pilimania Project Officer

FARAH R. BONGAT, R.N., Pilimania Chairperson

Tel. Nos. 473-8274/811-3961/0949-3763810
or add us at facebook: pilimania@yahoo.com

Naga rolls off waste collection carts along ‘railroad villages’

By Gerald O. Enguero
Bicol Mail

WASTEBUSTER. With steel wheels fitted for the railroad track, this mechanized waste collector cart spares Naga City’s railroad barangays from uncollected accumulated garbage. SMO PHOTO

This city’s waste disposal system takes another innovative turn with the deployment of rolling “skates” for garbage collection, along the railroad barangays of the city.

The scheme was formally launched last March 9 by City Mayor John Bongat and personnel of the Solid Waste Management Office headed by Engr. Joel Martin, wherein a scale model (see photo) of the rolling garbage collection skate was presented.

The rolling skates will collect biodegradable wastes every Wednesday and Friday and non-biodegradables every Sunday along and near the railway route that traverses the barangays of Mabolo, Tabuco, Triangulo Proper, Lerma Proper, SM Crossing, Naga City Subdivision, Concepcion Pequeña, and Concepcion Grande.

Engr. Martin said that with the operation of the rolling garbage collectors along the railways, the office is now near achieving 100 percent garbage collection on a regular basis.

“The city’s efficiency is currently 93% in terms of collecting and managing its garbage, the remaining 7% is directed along the rail road track and the river side, which comprise 4% and 3%, respectively, because those areas are not easily accessible to garbage trucks.

Alice E. Parco, a resident of Triangulo Proper, said that before the advent of the rolling garbage cart, her fellow residents along the railroad tracks usually burn their wastes, which is hazardous to both the people’s health and the environment, aside from posing risk for disastrous fire to start.