Facebook Twitter Youtube E-Mail

Transportation

Roads and Bridges

In 1998, Naga City’s total road network was 164.28 kilometers of which 105.23 kms. are concreted; 37.77 kms. are asphalted; 14.72 kms. are gravel surfaced while 6.56 kms. are still earth road/unsurfaced.

As of December, 2009, the total road length grew to 185.02 kilometers, of which 147.67 kms. are now concreted; 14.63 kms. are concreted with asphalt overlay, 4.10 kms. are asphalted; 11.87 kms. are gravel surfaced while 5.76 kms. are still earth road/unsurfaced. This translates to an increase of 19.74 kms.

Within Naga City are 11 city bridges spanning 223 meters, five national bridges, with a total length of 272 meters and two barangay bridges with a total length of 31 meters. Most of these bridges are found in the poblacion area which is trisected by the Bicol and Naga Rivers.

Naga City, being a fast urbanizing city faces traffic problems during peak hours especially in the Central Business District. Bottlenecks are formed in various strategic intersections which are caused by increasing number of vehicles.

The Public Safety Office (PSO), manned by 35 traffic officers and 30 volunteer citizen patrol officers from various barangays, is tasked to manage the transport and traffic problems of the city, in support to PNP’s Traffic Division.

Land Transportation

To decongest traffic at CBD I, terminals for buses, Filcab vans and jeepneys are all located at the new Central Business District (CBD II), except for northbound jeepneys which is located at Bagumbayan Sur.

Inter-town trips are served daily by 203 Filcab vans and 608 jeepneys while inter-provincial trips are served by an average of 300 airconditioned and non-airconditioned buses and 88 Filcab vans.

Late last year, about 50 taxi units became available in the city. They use the sides of new SM Naga City as waiting area for passengers within and outside the city.

Public utility jeepneys (PUJ) and multicabs are another major mode of intra-city transport used by regular commuters, a total of 323 units. But like all other public transport vehicles, jeepney operation in Naga is also beset with many problems such as the existence of colorum jeepneys, trip-cutting and out-of-line trips.

A common mode of intra-city travel is the trimobile (motorized tricycle). There are 1,500 units available for hire while 1,150 are for private use. There is now stiffer competition among drivers that create a wide range of problems such as fare overcharging, refusal to convey passengers, imbalance distribution of trimobile service resulting to a shortage of transport service in some areas of the city and rampant traffic violations.

Another mode of transportation in subdivisions and barangays roads are “padyaks”. Presently, there are about 1,925 units for hire and 500 for private use.

More or less 10 calesas or horse-driven carriages are still available at barangay Abella area.

In 1998, a total of 16,494 vehicles were registered by private owners, public utility entities and government. Motorcycles accounted for 38.8% of the total, while light vehicles, trucks, buses, trailers and heavy trucks cover the remaining 61.2%.

As of June 2010, these increased to 19,740 registered vehicles, of which 17,947 units are private, 1,522 units are for public utility and 271 are government-owned vehicles. Motorcycles again accounted for 57.3% of the total, while cars, utility vehicles, trucks, truck buses, tricycles and trailers cover the remaining 42.7%.

Per LTFRB data, there are about 6,060 units of public utility vehicles (PUVs) issued with inter-city and intra-city franchises.

Air Transportation

By plane, the city is about 45 minutes away from Metro Manila via Naga Airport which is located about 12 kilometers from the city proper. Plane trips are served daily by Air Philippines and Cebu Pacific that have regular morning and afternoon flights to and from Manila. Every week, around 35 flights serves the Naga-Manila route which allows greater flexibility to connect with other national and international destinations.

Legazpi Airport, which is about two hours drive from Naga, can also be utilized in going to Manila or Cebu, especially because of jet service to and from the national capital.

Rail Transportation

Daily commuter trains are now available plying the Naga-Ligao-Naga, and Naga-Sipocot-Naga routes, for as low as P 33 to P 66 per trip. Presently, revitalization activities are being undertaken by the PNR which may restore the daily Naga-Manila run by September 2010.

Water Transportation

As of today, only one motorized banca is available, serving Naga to Libmanan route.